Monday, February 09, 2004

Trip to Shimla...Continuation

After traveling for 3hrs we were able to see snow filled peaks, which I have already seen in Nanital. On the 4th hr of our travel I was able to see small patches of white foams, which was in the urge of melting due to high sunlight. It was so beautiful that there are no words to describe it. I was not able to believe my eyes. Once we crossed Solan we were able to see snow everywhere, ranging from 1inch to 1ft. Around 1700hrs we got off the train and walked towards the Mall Road. Most of the hill stations in N. India are built around the Mall Road. Mall Road is a highly dense shopping road. Here you get everything from gold to charcoal. Most of the hotels and restaurants are also around this Mall Road. My plan for spending that night was to stay in either YWCA or YMCA. After a short walk we were able to find YWCA, but it was closed on Fridays. So we enquired with the receptionist to know where is YMCA, the person was kind enough to give the correct address.

Due to heavy snowfall four days back, on both sides of the road there was around 2 to 3 ft of snow dumped. On the road there was a 5cm of ice formation, which was slippery. If a person does not walk carefully it is sure that he will be skating on the road. In YMCA we were able to get a bath attached double bed room for Rs. 400/-, because it was off-season. The places that one should see in Shimla are, The Rink, The Gaiety theatre and the Church, which are the most attracted places apart from the Raj Bhavan, the Summer hill resort and temples of Hanuman, Shiva and Nanda Devi.

The Rink is very famous because that is on the worlds largest and Natural Ice skating rink. The Gaiety theatre is famous for its interiors and the Church for the glass works. The first thing that enquired was about the Church since it was below the place I took the room and found that is opened only on Sundays for the weekly mass. Then I enquired about the Rink and found that was closed because of renovation work. Then finally I enquired about the theatre to only find that was also under renovation. So I had to spend the evening strolling around the Mall road and had dinner and came to room around 2130hrs. After that I was not able to roam because it was too cold. Once in room I turned on the TV and started watch the movie Ice Age in Star Movies. My friends was teasing me that I have come all the way to Shimla to just watch this movie. But still I watched and only slept.

The next day's to come...keep watching

No comments: