Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Indian Railway

I had to leave to Chennai today as a matter of fact, I did not get any Flight tickets so had to relay on the railways. My friends told me that I will be able to book a ticket by Tatkal(emergency booking method). Also they told me that I have to be early because of the crowd. Since it is winter and I thought who is going to come early in the morning and stand in the Queue. To my dismay when I reached @ 7.30 AM I was shocked to see that in every counter there were 3 to 5 people already in Queue. That building had 6 counters and all the counters had people. I also had to take the Queue and will standing in Queue had to fill the forms.

I thought they say the counters will open 8.00AM. I thought it is going to take some time for that. Once again I was wrong, when the clock struck 8.00Am all the counters opened and the first ticket was issued @ 8.03Am. I was really shocked to see how punctual the government employees were. I am not sure what magic was done for these changes. Was it really working like this for a long time, or am I seeing this for the first time, I am not sure.

We very frequently tell that IST stands for Indian Stretchable Time. But if anyone sees how the railway booking works it is not true. It is really Indian Standard Time.

No comments: